Website title: ESL MONKEY.COM
Website URL: http://www.eslmonkeys.com/index.html
Grade/age level: multi-age
Language & content:
The website provides resources for teachers, schools and students. I think it intends to work as the information center for teachers who want to find ESL jobs, for schools which want to recruit ESL teachers, and for students who wan to find ESL schools. Advertisement is perhaps it's major concern! However, for this evaluation assignment, I will only focus on the students' learning resocurce part of the web site.
On the home page, it is devided into three parts with separate titles for its three different audience. It's first choice is for students to find ESL schools (schools are welcome to join and advertise their schools and programs on this web site) and the second link for students is then the learning resources. The main content includes small tools, big tools and interactive tools with links to every small, big and interactive tools pages. There are no external documents or guides for this website but becasue it's fairly easy to navigate so users can just play with it and figure out the contents and different links. In addition, there isn't much information on this website , so external document is not much needed.
I can see the wensite can be interesting to students because it offers lots of FREE stuff and the word free is everywhere. This definitely attract people who are interested in having more resources (reading materials, books, etc.) Also, are are a variety of activities such as word, slam/idiom and quote of the day, grammar focus, reading room and free English lessons which would appeal to learners. These choices are necessarily the most interesting and creative ones but they are the activities learners are comfortable with and interested in.
I think the activities on the website offere extensive reading and thus this can achieve the goal of previding language input and extensive reading for building vaocabulary. However, this website doesn't offer practice and there's also very little instruction. There are some guiding question for the activities in the reading room and in the reading activities of news articles and short stories. Other than guiding questions in the beginning of the activities, there isn't much teaching present. At most, I think they only provide information. In terms of feedback and assessment, there isn't any available on the website.
Perhaps although this is such a small website with very limited resources, it looks very organized and the pages are filled with words and informations. I realized some of the information is very repetitive after I played with it for 10 minutes. At the first look, the website does look colorful, organized, and somewhat attractive. I think the layout could be considered as one of the strengths of this website (just delussion?) Also, it is vey easy to navigate on this website, nothing complicated. A second strength of the website is that it offers internaitonal learning materia. I noticed that they include international newspaper articles such as articles from Bangkok Post, which is a relative usual choice of authentic material. However, I really appreciate their effort to include international reading texts becasue I believe students then will not just think they can only learn from reading articles from North American or British media.
However, there is also room for improvement. For example, most of the material is pretty outdated. I noticed some of the newspaper articles are from the year 2004. Also, some of the links no longer work. For example, the idiom of the day page doesn't have any information anymore and is still not removed from the website. Lastly, I found the website from goole. Although the website isn't very updated, it is STILL ranked as the first five websites on google when I typed in language learning website!
ABC book
18 years ago
3 comments:
Thank you for introducing interesting website.
I really appreciate their effort to include international reading texts, because I believe students then will not just think they can only learn from reading articles from North American or British media.
I agree. Students are able to find reading resources from all over the world. As a world language, students benefit from articles written from various perspectives. I think that another this website’s strength is its discussion forum. Guariento and Morley (2001) indicate the benefit of classroom interaction. This website offers the space to communicate about their learning with other learners online. In the discussion forum, learners are able to get similar benefit that they get from classroom communication.
Tomoko
Hi Yi-Ching,
I have a chance to visit ESL Monkey website ( I was wondering why it must be monkey. Can it be butterfly or cat or other animals. Yeah, there is a lot of information and adverts. The part that would benefit learnersthe most is learning resource which is devided into three parts; small tools, big tools and interactive tools. In my opinion, small tools section seems to be the most useful for EFL/EFL learners since it provides good-to-know things like words of the day, phrasal verbs, stuff like that. The big tools section can be used as teachers' resource. Teachers can bring in these lessons to be used in their classrooms.
The major cons of this website is that some links have not been updated. For instance, I clicked the link "idiom of the day" hoping to learn a new idiom. There was nothing in that link. The same as when I clicked to see info under Flash card, there was nothing there either.
But after all, this website is pretty useful and like you said there are some FREE stuff for language learners to get out of.
Kwan
Hi, Yi-Ching
This website you provide does have a lot of information for teachers, students and schools. From student part, different learning sources from easy to advanced ones allow learners to catch English everyday. At first, I was attracted by word of the day and idiom of the day because I think for busy learners; this is a good way to learn some English everyday. However, it does not provide much or interesting information from these two links. This website does have useful reading materials, and readers or teachers can choose articles or stories based on learners’ level. The bold words and explanations do help readers to learn vocabulary. If the website can also provide reading comprehension questions for readers to check their understanding, it would be better learning materials. Students’ forum is a charming part in the website. It provides a platform for learners to discuss what they learn and their problems. Over all, I like this website because the learning materials are rich as long as it can improve some learning tools.
Hsiao-Chi
Post a Comment